Thursday, January 17, 2008

Miles to go.

On a recent road trip all over the Southeast, we were trying to figure out if we'd traveled, in total, the same number of miles that the United States is wide. From NYC to SanFrancisco, how many miles would you guess there were?

I guessed around 2,000, then we revised that figure to 2,500. We were off by a few hundred miles. What do you think the answer is?

The answer is 2,908.89 miles from New York City to San Francisco, which, according to MapQuest, you can drive in 42 hours and 37 minutes. I have my doubts about that second figure.

1 comment:

Billy Merck said...

In 2004, I drove across the country to move back home to Athens, GA from Reno, Nevada, where I had moved for a job. I drove approximately the same distance (I went a little further because I went out of my way to visit Vegas again briefly and to see the Grand Canyon, which I had never previously seen). It took me about 5 days, because I drove a moderate amount each day doing some sightseeing and staying in a hotel each night. However, I still averaged about 8 hours a day of driving, so Mapquest's number is about right.