Thursday, October 26, 2006

The news is boring me.

I need some frivolity, and I'm sharing it with you.


Learn how a restaurant critic stays slim (NY Magazine.) The last two restaurants I worked at gave the servers food every once in a while, and on those lucky days I freaked out the kitchen staffs by jumping up and down in response to particularly wonderful dishes. I've learned to contain my enthusiasm (physically), but expressing it as a food critic is on my list of dream jobs. (Tip: the key to my heart lies in an astonishingly good creme brulee.)

Michael Agger thinks the iPod wasn't all that revolutionary: "[Steven] Levy, a senior editor at Newsweek, is a prime example of the boomers who think the iPod is revolutionary. But really, they're grateful, because it's made them feel cool again. " IPods have made it a lot easier, and more common, for people to be in their own little worlds no matter where they are. It's increased the amount of time that we spend listening to music, but it also made music more of a solitary experience. A concert is a communal experience; iPod listening is not.

No comments: