Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Good Shepherd

I saw The Good Shepherd with my dad last night. I had a mixed reaction. The movie is about the early years of the CIA, and Matt Damon plays one of the founding members of the agency. It follows Damon's character from his college days through his career in the CIA, until his son decides to join the agency as well.

The problem with dense, intellectual movies is that audiences are lazy. We need incentive to actively pay attention to details, to sit through two and a half hours of subtle plot twists. Usually, directors provide this incentive by making the main character engaging. We care about the character, so we want to pay attention to the details.

In the end, I just didn't care enough about Damon's character for the dramatic finish to affect me. I had already lost interest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this last night--how is it that no one ever tells me beforehand how LONG these movies are?! Anyway, his character was pretty unsympathetic...just very indifferent--which I guess is sort of the point. I liked it for the most part though! :)