Sunday, November 19, 2006

Judith Regan attempts to justify her decision to print OJ's "If I did It."

Regan was beaten by her husband and went through a horrible ordeal to get him convicted. She tries to explain printing OJ's book in light of her past:

"My son is now 25 years old, my daughter 15. I wanted them, and everyone else, to have a chance to see that there are consequences to grievous acts. That the consequences of pain and suffering will ultimately be brought upon its perpetrators. And I wanted, as so many victims do, to hear him say, “I did it and I am sorry.” (Newsweek.)


If she wanted to show her son and daughter that there are consequences to horrible actions, she wouldn't have provided a forum for a killer to gloat about his actions and how he flouted the justice system. He's bragging about how he escaped punishment, and he's making money from it (possibly for his children -- though I'm skeptical). Regan says that she's not making money from the deal:

"What I do know is I didn’t pay him. I contracted through a third party who owns the rights, and I was told the money would go to his children."


However, her stock is surely going up from all the publicity, and OJ is taking pleasure from the whole thing: "malignant narcissism" as Regan calls it. But "malignant" means harmful, and OJ's narcissism -- thanks to Judith Regan -- is getting OJ exactly what he wants.

No comments: