Saturday, January 17, 2009

Alabama Law Applicants get Free iTunes

The Alabama Law Admissions Office is using a creative tactic to get students to apply.  They're giving away $20 in iTunes!  Dan Slater, at the Wall Street Law Blog, posted the partial email and then comments afterwards:
Admit it! You are an outstanding student. For a select number of students like you, The University of Alabama School of Law is offering some special incentives. But, don’t wait! . . .
For you, we’re making two special offers:

1. We’ll waive your application fee, and

2. We’ll present you with free iTunes® downloads in the amount of $20 if you apply!

We have no doubt that the Loyal Reader who received this generous music offer would make a fine law student — how could he not? he’s a Loyal Reader! — but of course we wonder about Alabama’s motives. Raise the number of applications? The number of rejections? Capitalize on what’s expected to be a big application year?

We await a response from Claude Reeves Arrington, Alabama law’s associate dean of admissions.

When I applied, the school knew that I had already bought a house in Tuscaloosa. They knew my brother was an undergraduate there, that I was born in Mobile, and that my grandparents lived in Birmingham. They knew I was very likely to come there. Is that why I didn't get my $20 in iTunes??

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean your parents bought you and your brother a house to live in, in Tuscaloosa?

Anonymous said...

History is happening around you today. You shouldn't be afraid to write about what is happening in the political world.

Anonymous said...

I also didn't get $20 in iTunes, or a scholarship, because I went to undergrad here and only applied here.

Anonymous said...

Smart move, they'll likely save a lot in tuition with both of you going to UA with the residency by getting to pay in-state tuition, less in student loans is always a nice perk.

Guy Fawkes said...

Anon #1:

That's a top-notch investment overall if one's family can afford it. I seriously doubt Sharon comes from a life of true "privilege, and she doesn't appear to be genuinely spoiled...if that's what you're implying.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't implying that at all, and agree with you regarding the investment opportunity, I was simply making the point that her statment was a misrepresentation. Owning a house in a college town like tuscaloosa, certaintly doesn't qualify one to be wealthy or come from a life of privilege, and that wasn't what I meant to imply.

Guy Fawkes said...

Fair enough :)

GetFreeiTunes said...

Since I forgot about the fed cap on grad loans, I was happy that I got my I-Tunes last year! And even happier with the scholarship.

And I am extremely pleased to be attending school in Alabama (never, ever thought I would say that).