Thursday, September 11, 2008

How to Write the Dedication and Acknowledgments for a Book

This morning my editor asked me to write the dedication and acknowledgments for the book. I hadn't given it much thought until now, and now I'm terrified that I'll leave someone important out by accident.

Has anyone done this before? What's your advice on approaching this?

So far, here's what I have. I'm dedicating the book to my parents, brother and sister. For the acknowledgments, I'm thanking:
  • God
  • My agent and editor
  • Friends who helped along the way
  • My grandparents and extended family
  • The law school, and several specific people here who have given advice and coached me through the process, and
  • The members of the Facebook group.
Am I leaving someone important out? If you think I might be, leave it in the comments.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about all the bitter biglaw associates who have nothing better to do than to correct other people's grammar on internet posts?

Phaedrus said...

I like this little quote from the Tuscaloosa News:

'Last time I checked, gas was about $3.50 a gallon and it's already jumped by $.50 cent.,' Pockman said. 'This is pretty expensive.'


Looks like the reporter is a bit frustrated by the kid's grammar.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080912/NEWS/809110228/1007&title=Gas_prices_skyrocket__as_Ike_looms

SneakySimian said...

Probably the next best thing is to acknowledge that you have probably left people out by accident in your acknowledgments. This way you can a) save your sanity and b) recognize people that have helped you along the way, but you have forgotten their name or whatever the case may be.

Good luck!

Sharon said...

That's a great idea, Michael. When I'm done, I'll post the dedication and acknowledgments on here.

Guy Fawkes said...

Me! Me! Don't forget me!

But seriously, attention-whoring aside, it seems like you have everything covered pretty well.

Shellzer said...

Sharon, I like your book, but please tell me it is intentional that the heading is misspelled on the Acknowledgments page. If not, this is a very unfortunate start to this book...